Friday, December 4, 2009

Berlin

We flew into Frankfurt about 6:00 AM and after getting our car and getting everything organized we explored Frankfurt for a little bit just to kill some time. We walked to the main city and Brandon showed me around his mission area. It was so surreal being there and seeing all the places that he'd been to and where he lived.

My first stamp on my passport!!!







We were also able to go visit the temple there too and it was sooo awesome!!! It was actually a nice feeling of being around something that was actually familiar to me. I think I was having quite the culture shock the first few hours we were there.




We then headed the 5 hours to Berlin. Little did we know that after so many hours of flying and having no idea how long we'd been awake, this car trip ended up being kinda crazy! We'd been driving for about an hour when both Brandon and I realized we could not keep our eyes open from being so tired. And being in the middle of Germany we didn't have many options and we just happen to come upon a truck parking area off the side of the road so we hurried and got off and slept for about an hour or so on the side of the German freeway. After that cat nap we were set to go! The cool thing about Germany is they have unrestricted speeds on their freeways, so yes my friends, we could go as fast as we wanted! Which is nice cause that saves you quite a bit of time :) We made it to our hotel, went to bed, and woke up the next day bright and early ready to start our exploring! Berlin has one of the largest zoo's and so we decided to check that out and it was pretty awesome. They had pretty much every animal you could think of and it was kind of intimidating actually cause it's not like American zoo's where all the animals are caged off and safely away from you. Here all they had was this little moat that was separating you from the animals and I bet if they really wanted to, they could jump it.



This dolphin statue made me oh so happy.

This little bird guy was so funny. He followed us around and he would stop and lift of one of his legs and so I'd lift up my leg too and then he'd put it down and lift his other leg and waited for me to do the same. We did that for a few minutes.






This was a really cool cathedral that had been bombed during the war and was still standing. If you look closely you can see the top is gone. They had so many awesome historic buildings everywhere. I couldn't get enough.

Enjoying a German treat standing infront of the same Cathedral. Seriously, I still can't even believe I was there. Everything was so amazing.
Then we went to some historic sites like Checkpoint Charlie, the Berlin Wall (well what's left of it) and a few other places. Berlin was really awesome and really huge!! We could have spent our whole trip there and still probably not seen everything we wanted.






A part of what is left of the Berlin Wall.




Yeah, I was a little exhausted

3 comments:

Lenzi said...

LOOK HOW MUCH FUN YOU HAD!!!!!! Im so jealous :) But a good jealous!! That place looks freakin beautiful :)

Kyler and Hillary said...

wow! I can't believe you guys got to do this. Kyler does not care to travel. We will though...hopefully someday when we have money. haha. but everything there looks amazing

Nick/Syd said...

So awesome Nicole!! I am also jealous!